Summer 2021 Events
A 5-week grant-writing seminar for UNI faculty and staff, this workshop offers sessions on various grant-writing topics interspersed with individual and independent grant-writing activities. All seminar sessions will be held virtually through Zoom. For more information, please contact Rebecca Rinehart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Week 1: Planning for Success Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 1 – 2:30 pm - (click to register)
Week 2: Budget Development Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 1 – 2:30 pm - (click to register)
Project planning and budgeting should proceed hand-in-hand. A good budget increases your chances of obtaining funding and facilitates the implementation of your project. This session will present the conceptual basis and technical tips for creating a strong budget.
Week 3: Writing Techniques for Proposals Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 1 – 2:30 pm - (click to register)
What are the commonalities of successful grant proposals? What are typical mistakes to avoid? This session will explore the differences between proposal writing and academic writing, offer style and organization techniques, and share examples.
Week 4: Panel Discussion Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 1 – 2:30 pm - (click to register)
Successful UNI grant seekers will share their expertise in a moderated panel discussion.
Week 5: Guest Speaker: Michael Spires Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 1 – 2:30 pm - (click to register)
Michael Spires, Research Development Officer at Oakland University, is a past president of the National Organization of Research Development Professionals and has worked in research development at multiple universities and the Smithsonian Institution. He will speak on the topic of Positioning for Proposal Success.
Spring 2021 Research & Sponsored Programs Training
Grants & Contracts Training and Workshops (Download Flyer PDF)
Provided by the Research & Sponsored Programs office, these trainings provide an open forum for investigators and administrative staff with experience in award management. All trainings will be available as Zoom virtual sessions with recordings also available on the RSP website. Registration is required for all sessions. To register and obtain meeting information, please click on the individual session to load the Zoom registration page. For questions or other issues, please contact email@example.com.
- PRAF – Learn to navigate UNI's internal approval process for grant and contract proposals. This session will walk through the electronic Proposal Routing and Approval Form (PRAF) and have time for questions. Support staff and Principal Investigators are particularly encouraged to attend; all are welcome.
- Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Budgeting – An accurate budget is critical to obtaining and successfully managing external funding. This session will provide an overview of the conceptual and technical components of good budgets.
- Monday, February 15, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Cost Share – Cost-share, match, in-kind dollars, leveraged funds...what is it really, how should it be handled in a proposal, and how do I report it at UNI? This session will provide a detailed look at cost share and reporting cost share at UNI.
- Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Outgoing Subawards & Subcontracts – What’s the difference between the two? This session focuses on an overview of subawards and subcontracts – their elements and when to utilize a subaward versus a subcontract (pre-award) and once you’ve received the prime award (post-award) – roles & responsibilities, subaward invoice approval, subrecipient monitoring, and subaward amendments. The subject matter is geared towards researchers, project directors, and those newer to subawards; however, all are welcome.
- Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Postaward Project Management – You’ve been funded – now what? This session will cover all aspects of postaward project management, and the paperwork needed, from project start until project end.
- Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Cost Transfers – What are they, and what’s the big deal? This training forum will provide a detailed look at cost transfers including journal entries, labor distribution adjustments, and other issues.
- Monday, April 5, 2021, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Final Accounting – Final accounting is the financial reconciliation of your sponsored project, which helps you take a "final look" at your project and all the expenses related to your project.
- Faculty Summer PAFs for Grants – This in-depth training session will walk participants through the process of creating Faculty Summer PAFs for grants, specifically timed for the upcoming Summer 2021 term. For additional questions about this session, please contact Michele Mullings-Shand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday, April 19, 2021, 3-4 pm | Zoom Virual Session
Spring 2021 IRB Training & Events
IRB Training Certification – The CITI Program
IRB Learning Tutorials/Discussion Sessions (Download Flyer PDF)
Spring 2021 Research & Ethics Events
Intro to Grant Seeking (Download Flyer PDF)
Ethical Data Management & Presentation (Download Flyer PDF)
Ethical Issues in Quantitative Research (Download Flyer PDF)
Ethical Issues in Scholarship: Gender, Ethnicity, and Power (Download Flyer PDF)
Export Control for Faculty & Staff (Download Flyer PDF)