Upcoming Summer Signature Event
2022 Summer Grant Writing Workshop (Download Flyer PDF)
A 5-session grant-writing seminar for UNI faculty and staff, this workshop offers sessions on various grant-writing topics. Seminar sessions will be a mix of Zoom virtual sessions and in-person events. Please see the schedule below for details and registration links. For more information, please contact Rebecca Rinehart at email@example.com.
Session 1: Planning for Success Wednesday, May 18, 2022, 1 – 2:30 pm - Zoom virtual session (click to register)
Learn about the services of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs and the UNI Foundation, and how to: find funding opportunities, understand Requests for Proposals and sponsor priorities, write a concept paper, and communicate with program officers.
Session 2: Building a Budget Friday, May 20, 2022, 1 – 2:30 pm - Zoom virtual session (click to register)
Project planning and budgeting should proceed hand-in-hand. A good budget increases your chances of obtaining funding and facilitates the implementation of your project. This session will present the conceptual basis and technical tips for creating a strong budget.
Session 3: Writing to Persuade Monday, May 23, 2022, 1 – 2:30 pm - Zoom virtual session (click to register)
What are the commonalities of successful grant proposals? What are typical mistakes to avoid? This session will explore the differences between proposal writing and academic writing, offer style and organization techniques, and share examples.
Session 4: Growing the Skills Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 1 – 2:30 pm - LIB 301 (ScholarSpace) - Rod Library (click to register)
In this hands-on session, participants will apply the concepts and practice the skills they have learned by working with sample budgets and proposal exerpts.
Session 5: Guest Speaker: Provost Jose Herrera Friday, May 27, 2022, 1 – 2:30 pm - LIB 301 (ScholarSpace) - Rod Library (click to register)
Note: Registration for the rest of the grant writing workshop is not required to attend this guest speaker event. Walk-ins are welcome.
Spring 2022 Research & Sponsored Programs Training
Grants & Contracts Training and Workshops (Download Flyer PDF)
Provided by the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, these trainings offer an open forum for investigators and administrative staff with experience in award management or those just getting started. All trainings will be available as Zoom virtual sessions. Registration is required for all sessions. To register and obtain meeting information, please click on the individual session to load the Zoom registration page. For questions or other issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final Accounting – Final accounting is the financial reconciliation of your sponsored project, which helps you take a "final look" at your project and all the expenses related to your project.
Wednesday, February 2, 1 – 2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Budgeting – An accurate budget is critical to obtaining and successfully managing external funding. This session will provide an overview of the conceptual and technical components of good budgets.
- Wednesday, February 16, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Cost Share – Cost-share, match, in-kind dollars, leveraged funds...what is it really, how should it be handled in a proposal, and how do I report it at UNI? This session will provide a detailed look at cost share and reporting cost share at UNI.
- Monday, February 28, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Outgoing Subawards & Subcontracts – What’s the difference between the two? This session focuses on an overview of subawards and subcontracts – their elements and when to utilize a subaward versus a subcontract (pre-award) and once you’ve received the prime award (post-award) – roles & responsibilities, subaward invoice approval, subrecipient monitoring, and subaward amendments. The subject matter is geared towards researchers, project directors, and those newer to subawards; however, all are welcome.
- Wednesday, March 9, 10 – 11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Postaward Project Management – You’ve been funded – now what? This session will cover all aspects of postaward project management, and the paperwork needed, from project start until project end.
- Monday, March 21, 1 – 2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Faculty Summer PAFs for Grants – This in-depth training session will walk participants through the process of creating Faculty Summer PAFs for grants, specifically timed for the upcoming Summer 2022 term. For additional questions about this session, please contact Michele Mullings-Shand at email@example.com.
- Wednesday, April 6, 1 – 2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Cost Transfers – What are they, and what’s the big deal? This training forum will provide a detailed look at cost transfers including journal entries, labor distribution adjustments, and other issues.
- Monday, April 18, 1 – 2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
Spring 2022 IRB Training & Events
IRB Training Certification – The CITI Program
IRB Learning Tutorials/Discussion Sessions (Download Flyer PDF)
Spring 2022 Research & Ethics Events
RSP Preaward Traveling Office Hours (Download Flyer PDF)
Intro to Grant Seeking (Download Flyer PDF)
Presented by Preaward Specialist Maggie Heretakis, this is an introduction to external funding opportunities from foundations and government agencies. The basics of crafting a strong proposal and support available at UNI will be covered.
Ethical Issues in Quantitative Research (Download Flyer PDF)
Ethical Issues in Scholarship: Gender, Ethnicity, and Power (Download Flyer PDF)
Export Control for Faculty and Staff (Download Flyer PDF)