The purpose of project closeout is to ensure all final documents have been completed and submitted to the sponsoring agency once a project has expired. General closeout requirements are listed in 2 CFR 200 (Uniform Administrative Requirements, Costs Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards) and in the terms and conditions of the award document. Timely submission of closeout documents must be done to alleviate the possibility of suspended or denied final payments from sponsoring agencies.
- Approximately 90 days prior to a project's expected end date, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs sends a "pre-termination" notice. This notice reminds the PI/PD of the upcoming end date and of the actions necessary to complete the closeout or to request an extension.
- Approximately 30 days prior to a project's end date, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will send the PI/PD an invitation to final accounting training.
- Two working days following the end date of the project, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs sends the final accounting packet and certification form to the PI/PD.
- The completed final accounting and certification form is due 15 days following the end of the project with required signatures and back up documentation.
- Within 60 days after the end date of the project (30 days for some sponsors), all encumbrances, request to pays, procurement cards, etc., must have cleared the account or they will have to be paid from non-sponsored funds.
- Within 90 days (45 days for some sponsors), RSP and UNI Financial Reporting will bring the account balance to zero.
Final Accounting Packet
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs mails the final accounting certification form to the PI/PD. The instructions and the worksheets necessary to complete the final accounting packet must be downloaded from RSP website.
PI/PD Close-Out Responsibilities:
- Complete final accounting and certification form
- Remove staff payroll from the account
- Promptly transfer (to a non-federal account) all erroneous charges, clearing deficits and post-term charges
- Notify the appropriate UNI Department to stop expenses such as salaries, telecommunications, postage, etc. from being charged to a project after the end date.
- Submit the final inventions report, if required
- Prepare and submit a final equipment report, if required
- Submit technical reports
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Close-Out Responsibilities:
- Submit all final financial reports to the sponsor.
- Close account when balance is zero