CITI Export Controls Training Module
CITI Training Program
CITI Export Controls Course: After completing this module the learner should be able to: 1. Describe the three major sets of regulations that regulate the export of materials, technology, technical data, and software from the United States. 2. Define and use key terms and concepts critical to understanding U.S. export regulations. 3. Understand why it is important for researchers in U.S. institutions of higher education to have a core knowledge of U.S. export regulations.
Training and Introductory Information
Export Controls Coordinator and Associate University Counsel - Kyle Fogt, 319-273-7272
University Counsel - Tim McKenna, 319-273-3241
EAR (Export Administration Regulations) Links
- EAR is administered by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), US Department of Commerce.
- EAR regulations are found at Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 CFR §§730-774
- Part 774 (PDF) is the Commerce Control List (CCL) - list of items controlled by EAR
- Part 734.3 (PDF) because some items are not on the list and designated simply as EAR 99
- EAR CCL Alphabetical Index (PDF)
- EAR "Deemed Export" FAQ
- Export.gov Consolidated Screening List - includes export screening lists from the Departments of Commerce, State, and Treasury
ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) Links
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), administered by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), US Department of State. (See Part 121 for a list of items covered.)
- ITAR US Munitions List (USML, a listing of defense articles, defense services, and related technical data subject to ITAR), 22 CFR §121.1
- USML Latest Updates
OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) Links
- The OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, international drug traffickers, and those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- OFAC Sanctions Programs and Countries Information - includes program dates as this list is constantly updated
- OFAC List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List - individuals and companies owned or controlled by, or acting for or on behalf of, targeted countries
- COGR Brochure – Export Controls and Universities – Information and Case Studies (PDF) - Council On Governmental Relations
- Higher Education and National Security: The Targeting of Sensitive, Proprietary and Classified Information on Campuses of Higher Education (PDF) – U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation