Training Opportunities, Resources, and Events
Fall 2023 Signature Events
Celebration of Research & Scholarship
This annual reception recognizes all of the faculty, staff, administrators, and support staff who contributed to seeking and receiving external funding from 2022-2023. VP of Strategic Initiatives Stephanie Huffman will provide remarks. Refreshments are served. No registration necessary - all are welcome.
2023 Scholar Connexus
The annual Scholar Connexus is an opportunity to network with UNI colleagues, identify new research collaborators, share ideas and expertise, and meet new people with similar interests in a fun, informal environment. Registration is required in order to facilitate the matching of individuals for paired conversations. Refreshments are served. For inquiries or more information, please contact Rebecca Rinehart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2023 Research & Sponsored Programs Training
Grants & Contracts Training and Workshops (Flyer PDF)
Provided by the Research & Sponsored Programs office, these trainings provide an open forum for investigators and administrative staff with experience in award management. All trainings will be available as Zoom virtual sessions with recordings also available on the RSP website. Registration is required for all sessions. To register and obtain meeting information, please click on the individual session to load the Zoom registration page. For questions or other issues, please contact email@example.com.
- Budgeting – An accurate budget is critical to obtaining and successfully managing external funding. This session will provide an overview of the conceptual and technical components of good budgets.
- Tuesday, September 5 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Cost Share – Cost-share, match, in-kind dollars, leveraged funds...what is it really, how should it be handled in a proposal, and how do I report it at UNI? This session will provide a detailed look at cost share and reporting cost share at UNI.
- Wednesday, September 6 – 10-11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Thursday, October 12 – 10-11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Monday, November 6 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Thursday, December 7 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session - cancelled
- Cost Transfers – What are they, and what’s the big deal? This training forum will provide a detailed look at cost transfers including journal entries, labor distribution adjustments, and other issues.
- Wednesday, September 20 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Final Accounting – Final accounting is the financial reconciliation of your sponsored project, which helps you take a "final look" at your project and all the expenses related to your project.
- Wednesday, August 2 – 2-3 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Tuesday, September 5 – 2-3 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Wednesday, October 4 – 2-3 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Friday, November 3 – 2-3 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Wednesday, December 6 – 2-3 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Outgoing Subawards & Subcontracts – What’s the difference between the two? This session focuses on an overview of subawards and subcontracts – their elements and when to utilize a subaward versus a subcontract (pre-award) and once you’ve received the prime award (post-award) – roles & responsibilities, subaward invoice approval, subrecipient monitoring, and subaward amendments. The subject matter is geared towards researchers, project directors, and those newer to subawards; however, all are welcome.
- Tuesday, October 17 – 10-11 am | Zoom Virtual Session
- Postaward Project Management – You’ve been funded – now what? This session will cover all aspects of postaward project management, and the paperwork needed, from project start until project end.
- Wednesday, September 13 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
- Friday, November 10 – 1-2 pm | Zoom Virtual Session
Fall 2023 IRB Training & Events
IRB Training Certification – The CITI Program
Responsible Conduct of Research Training – The CITI Program
Securing your Responsible Conduct of Research Training is an important part of building your foundation as a researcher. This course, offered through CITI, will help you understand the basics of RCR while also meeting requirements set forth by certain sponsored programs including the National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, or National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Your RCR training is valid for three years.
Preparing Your IRB Application
Are you ready to prepare an IRB application, and you just aren't sure where to begin? Join IRB Administrator Lisa Ahern for a basic "How-To" Zoom session on using Cayuse, the IRB application system. Learn where you can find resources to build supporting documents for your application and common mistakes to avoid.
Fall 2023 Research & Ethics Events
Ethical Issues in Qualitative Research
- Dr. Rudick will present Krumer-Nevo's framework for conducting qualitative research in ways that do not “Other” participants. He will discuss concepts of objectification, de-contextualization, and de-historization, and de-authorization, and how to evaluate one's own or other's research using these criteria.
- Dr. Hernandez-Saca will present two sets of ethical principles within the fields of special education and Disability Studies in Education (DSE) that can be operationalized through anchoring student and participants' voices for theory, research and practice in order to theorize a consilience ethic at the boundaries between traditional special education and DSE in qualitative research with dis/abled students (with disabilities). Implications for how one feels and thinks about their conceptual framework through this discussion about all the elements of the research will be discussed and tied to such a discussion of ethics in qualitative research.
Using SciENcv and ORCID for NSF and NIH proposals
- Tuesday, September 5, 2023, 12:30 – 1 pm | Zoom virtual session | Registration Required
- Wednesday, September 6, 2023, 12:30 – 1 pm | Zoom virtual session | Registration Required
- Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 3:30 – 4 pm | Zoom virtual session | Registration Required
- Thursday, September 21, 2023, 3:30 – 4 pm | Zoom virtual session | Registration Required