Academic Ethics and Responsible Conduct of Research
All UNI students, faculty and staff are highly encouraged to participate in Responsible and Ethical Conduct of Research (RCR) training. UNI provides an online "Responsible Conduct of Research" course that is available to all UNI affiliates through its subscription to the CITI program.
Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training is also required for certain sponsored-programs including National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institutes of Health (NIH) and National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) programs. It is the responsibility of the PI to ensure that the appropriate training plan is submitted and followed as required by the funder.
- View this page for more details on RCR for certain sponsored programs, including NIH, NSF and NIFA
- Training is provided through UNI's subscription to the CITI program
- Supplemental training is offered throughout the year through various forums, panels and workshops, as shared on RSP's Training and Events webpage.
Training Requirements for Human Subjects Research
The RCR training course does NOT fulfill the training requirements for human subjects research. Separate training is required for key personnel who are conducting research with human subjects. Please visit the Human Subjects Protections Training page for more information and access to resources.
Other Training Resources
- Association of Practical and Professional Ethics - international ethics community where you will find the nation's RCR and research integrity scholars
- American Association for the Advancement of Science – AAAS has a wide variety of resources on scientific integrity, including listings for web/media resources, conferences, blogs, and government links and documents.
- Office of Research Integrity - ORI is the key federal agency that oversees the Responsible Conduct of Research – has a comprehensive compilation of articles, tutorials, and instructional resources related to Research Ethics.
- National Center for Principled Leadership & Research Ethics
- UNI Library User Guide on ethics - provides guidelines to finding books and other resources on ethics topics
- List of ethics journals (PDF) - across various academic fields
- Ethics & Compliance Initiative - for business oriented resources
- Ethics Unwrapped - series of free videos exploring ethical issues, for use in teaching
- A Framework for Ethical Decision Making - An introduction to thinking ethically from the Markula Center for Applied Ethics
- Ethics Codes Collection - Maintained by the Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions, this database is the largest online repository of ethics codes and guidelines in the world.
- Committee on Publication Ethics
- Retraction Watch - an interesting blog with regular news about publication ethics and retractions from the literature
- "The Lab" - The Office of Research Integrity produced this interactive video useful for faculty, staff, and students that depicts possible research misconduct in a science lab and allows viewers to take on one of the character roles and actually make decisions along the way that direct the video action in one direction or another.
- Register your research on the Open Science Framework - initiative to enhance transparency and reproducibility in research, developed by the Center for Open Science.